USDA Property Eligibilty

by Keith Landis on November 1, 2011

USDA Mortgages, also known as Rural Development loans, are by definition meant for “rural” properties that will be a primary residence.  All borrowers on a USDA mortgage application must also occupy the property.


USDA Property Eligibilty

  • First and foremost the property must be located in USDA eligible area.  The USDA Eligibilty map can be found here
  • Residential properties only
  • No working farms, no hobby farms, no former farms with standing farm buildings
  • Planned Unit Developments (PUDs) are allowed
  • Condos are ok if the condo complex is already approved for Conventional or FHA financing
  • Manufactured Homes with permanent foundations are allowed
  • New Construction is allowed
  • Property can not be located in a 100 year flood zone
  • Value of land can not exceed 30% of the total value of the property unless typical for the area



USDA Mortgages in Pennsylvania and the rest of the nation have no downpayment requirements and more flexible credit guidelines, additional information can be found below…


USDA Mortgage Highlights


USDA Mortgage Credit Guidelines


Previous post:

Next post: